According to TastyCo and a bunch of peeps who gave this recipe five stars, the following is a very tasty treat!
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless, cubed chicken breast
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- A liberal sprinkling of fresh, minced parsley
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ⅓ cups heavy cream
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on both sides. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add carrot and onion in the same pot and cook until just tender, making certain to mix in all those good brown bits left from the chicken!
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add butter and flour, stirring constantly for 3 minutes to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add the chicken and any accumulated juices back to the pot and stir to coat in the roux.
- Add the chicken broth, cream and thyme and bring to a simmer.
- Add frozen peas, cover and let cook for 15 minutes.
- To make the dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until mixture comes together into a single mass of dough.
- Form the dough into round, one-inch balls and place them in the simmering soup, making sure they don’t touch.
- Add parsley and cover. Let it all simmer for 15 minutes, or until the dumplings are cooked through.
- Now, I’m pretty sure you know just what to do!